Friday, May 6, 2011

Cowford? Why????


Happy Friday, Again! So, I was talking with my students today about the research process-brainstorming ideas, planning, narrowing down topics, and what sources could be used to gather information and the topic of using technology in research was brought up. The class discussion was interesting. Many of my middle school students really have a good understanding on how to look information up on the Internet. One of the topics discussed was about Blogs. Some students knew what a blog was and others picked up the concept quickly. I even had some students that had already started blogs in elementary school! Go figure! These students have so much potential! Many can pick up skills and concepts quickly if they set their mind to it! Teaching can be such a wonderful experience! So, you may be asking yourself ..Self why did she name this posting "Cowford? Why??", well let me tell you then. In this class discussion on technology, research, and blogs- I mentioned possible topics to research and Cowford was one of them. Hmmm, another question you maybe asking youself is "Ok, so where is Cowford exactly?" Cowford was located in Northeast Florida. The city's current name is Jacksonville. Jacksonville was originally named Cowford before the big name change occurred in 1822 (I believe). I am finding Jacksonville's history very interesting. If you are curious about Jacksonville and its history, there are alot of places to check out. Some of the best that I have come across recently: Jacksonville Historical Society and the City of Jacksonville websites. Happy Info Hunting! http://jaxhistory.com/Jax-Story.html

Have a GREAT night!
Amykins }:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment